Tuesday, June 30, 2009

NIN part 3

This song was written by Gary Numan...the same guy that did "Cars" back in the 80's...great song as well. This song is very mechanical in both musical sound and lyrics. I love the feel of it. I used to have this song playing in my head, on repeat, while I worked at Whirlpool making washing machines on my summer's off from college. It got me through a lot of long, hot days. The alienation in the song seems to resonate with me for some reason, even though I have never really felt truly alienated. I like the mechanical-ness of it...how sometimes we are just machines doing the same thing day in and day out...I like how this questions that attitude; that way of life...I can identify with that. It touches on how we don't really feel emotions anymore, we just go through the motions, but don't connect like people did in the past. We have become a society afraid of really feeling...we have learned to empathize instead of sympathize.

Metal

We're in the building where they make us grow
And I'm frightened by the liquid engineer
Like you

My mallory heart Is sure to fail
I could crawl around the floor Just like I'm real
Like you

The sound of metal
I want to be
You
I should learn to be man Like you
Plug me in
And turn me on
Oh, everything is moving

I need my treatment
It's tomorrow, they send me
Singing "I am an American"
Do you?

Picture this
If I should make the change
I'd love to pull the wires from the wall!
Did you?

nd who are you?
And how could I
try?
Here inside I like the metal
Don't you?

All I know, is no one lies
I'm still confusing love with need

No comments:

Post a Comment