Monday, January 17, 2011

I spent the majority of the weekend cleaning.
I walked in my home after work on Friday and was just plain sick of the clutter.
Now keep in mind I'm not fanatic about keeping my home SPOTLESS like my mother and father. As long as it is clean more days than not, I am happy. I work 2 jobs and recently started working out again. I just don't have the time to keep it as clean as I would like.
But, living with Kevin, cleaning can be challenging. He treats our kitchen table like his tool box. It is routinely covered in tools from the machine shop. The ones that fit in his back pockets. And tape measures. I find tape measures everywhere...but none when I need one.
Anyways. I walked in the door friday after work and began work on the kitchen. I pulled everything off the counters and scrubbed. I washed the walls, went through cabinets and got rid of some stuff I never used or just just didn't need. I moved all of Kevin's tools off the table to the basement, I swept and then mopped the floors. When I mop I boil my water. Call me crazy, but it cleans much better and I feel like it disinfects...even though I use a disinfectant on the floor as well. I cleaned for about 4 hours straight. Just in the kitchen, hallway, and bathroom.
Saturday I woke up and began on the closets. We have a spare bedroom with 2 HUGE closets that is pretty much our only storage in the house. I began going through all the totes and storage containers and got rid of a lot of stuff. So far, I have 8 bags of garbage. Just garbage. Amazing that I had it all stuffed here and there in those closets. Junk. I pulled out a bunch of stuff that we are either going to sell on Ebay. (My motorcycle ferrings for sure) we may just donate it to goodwill. I'm not about to have a garage sale. They are too much hassle and I live in the middle of no where. I have about 15 collector Barbi's that I have no clue what to do with. Either sell them or ship them out to my nieces. Either way, I want them gone. They are taking up valuable space.
Kevin has 3 LARGE totes to go through. I'm not touching them because I wouldn't want him to go through my stuff and decide what is important enough to keep and what is not.
My job this week is to go through all my Christmas totes...all 5 of them, and get rid of the items I do not use. I hardly decorate for Christmas anymore, so I don't know why I hold on to the stuff. I have one antique decoration from my Momo that pull out, but everything else just stays in the totes. I haven't even put up a tree in 3 years.
So, I'm hoping to change my 5 Christmas totes into 2 Christmas totes.
I'm also hoping to find a book shelf to put all my books on soon.
Kevin is paying for the much needed I beam for our basement this week at work. Hopefully we can get it into our house soon so we can actually start refinishing walls and laying floors. My beautiful slate tiles for our mudroom are still chilling out in the basement. I am dying to see them installed.
It felt good to declutter myself a little. I need to do it more often.

5 comments:

  1. Damn...that is serious cleaning!! I don't ever wash the walls (now I'm wondering if they need it...). I clean every weekend cause I can't stand clutter, but I don't do real deep cleaning but once a year. And I HATE moping floors. Worst.job.ever.

    Doesn't if feel good to get rid of junk? I go through my bins in our storage cubby once a year. There's always stuff to toss. I don't know how it keeps piling up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS...don't know if you're viewed your blog lately, but the background image was deleted...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Haley - all the best for 2011 to you and your husband! Nice that your blog is back...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Deep cleaning and de-cluttering feel great. We tackled the garage last weekend and took a truckload to the Goodwill and I still have to tackle the inside of the house. I figure if I can get through one room/area of the house I'll be in good shape soon enough.

    The one thing I hate is mopping. Hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome! And, I'm sorry about your accident. Are you feeling better?

    I threw out almost all of my christmas stuff last year, and this year was so much better putting a few things up and taking them down.

    Also, about 3 or 4 years ago, I did a giant purge in my house. I touched absolutely everything I owned and made a decision whether to keep it.
    I think I'm due for another soon!

    ReplyDelete